Nevertheless, before a jeweler studies, say loose blue sapphire, tanzanite earrings, or a diamond for instance, there are always some essential steps to be followed. Giving an insight below are the steps revealed:
1. Convenient examining of loose gemstones: In many cases, jewelers try to camouflage those fine errors in a stone with particular setting of the jewelry. Therefore, before buying any gemstone jewelry, the gemstone should be examined, unmounted. This would not let defects to hide by the mounting or side stones.
2. Surety of a clean gem: When purchasing a gem from a local jeweler or an online retailer, always insist that it is cleaned. If the place is such where it doesn’t allows professional cleaning, then breathe on the stone in a huffing manner. It would result in steam on the gem. The dirt’s actually superficial in nature.
3. Try holding the gem through the girdle (the edge where the top and bottom meet): A safe way to handle a gemstone, say, a citrine, is by holding it from the girdle. If touched from top (table) and/or pavilion (bottom), the stone can have traces of oil, affecting its color and brilliance.
However, the professional method is holding gems through tweezers. Always be careful while holding a gemstone with tweezers after taking permission from the owner. Don’t get blamed for any damage/loss to gem in case if it pops out accidentally.
4. Proper lighting for better viewing of the gem: Most jewelers prefer several incandescent spotlights, usually recessed in dropped ceilings. There are spotlights which are capable enough to make glass imitations the same way fantastic, just like real ones.
Professionally, florescent lights are a first choice for grading. However, they may affect appearance of some gems. Ruby shows its fiery gleam under incandescent light whereas diamond and other similar hued gemstones look magnificent with florescent ones.
Otherwise, buyers should always insist on viewing the desired gems under several types of lights.
Ideally, the source light should be located from above or behind you, shining down and through the stone. It facilitates the light to travel through the stone and reflect back to eyes.
5. Facilitate rotation for different angle view.
6. A Loupe focused both on the surface and into the interior: Setting the stone slowly, such as shifting focus in the interior is a method to have a better view. It can be raised or lowered, to concentrate on the depths clearly and carefully. Therefore, if the top is focused on then the interior is left.
Thus, these are some good tips to keep in mind to examine your favorite gems. Become a gem collector or a personal jeweler for yourself or your family and friends. Examine charms like ruby rings and earrings, emerald rings and earrings, or sapphire earrings.
Enjoy the pure bliss of authentic jewelry.